So you’re considering starting a blog. Reflecting on my personal experience, contemplating the idea of launching a blog comes with its share of uncertainties:
- How much work is it?
- What kind of knowledge do I need?
- How much time will I need to dedicate to it?
The stuff you’re reading at this moment? It’s all the questions I’ve thrown at myself. As you can see, I took the plunge and started this blog – and I’m so glad you’ve found it!
So if you’re looking for a quick answer as to whether or not you should start a blog in 2023, I’ll tell you this: If you are a passionate writer, are looking for a creative outlet, or are looking to learn more about web development and content creation, then your answer is a resounding yes!
On the other hand, if you’re only in it for the money, I’d reconsider.
Whether it’s a lifestyle blog, travel blog, foodie blog, or your own personal blog, here’s a transparent take on whether or not you should give it a go.
Common Hesitations With Starting Your Own Blog
If the idea of starting your own blog is making you do a little hesitation dance, you’re in good company. Trust me, I know the feeling – it took me ages to actually do the thing. But guess what? Below are all the Google searches based on hesitations I had.
Is blogging still a thing?
Absolutely, blogging is still a thing, and it’s thriving more than ever! Despite the ever-changing digital landscape, blogs continue to be a powerful platform for sharing ideas, expertise, and personal stories.
They’ve evolved to adapt to the demands of today’s online world, with multimedia content, interactive features, and engagement-driven strategies. Whether you’re a seasoned blogger or just getting started, there’s a place for you in the blogging community.
Here are some blogging statistics that solidify the fact that blogging remains incredibly relevant:
Long story short, you didn’t miss the window for starting a blog.
Is it too late to start a blog?
If you’re wondering whether the ship has sailed on starting a blog, you’re not alone.
The digital landscape might seem crowded, but let me tell you, it’s far from being a closed door. While there are many blogs out there, there’s also a constant appetite for fresh perspectives, unique voices, and valuable content.
Think about it: Every day, people are searching for answers, insights, and entertainment. So, no, it’s not too late to dive into the world of blogging. It’s more about finding your own space and bringing your authentic voice to the table.
According to WordPress, users produce about 70 million new posts and 77 million new comments each month.
Is the blogging landscape too crowded?
Going off the question, “Is it too late to start a blog’, you might also be wondering if the blogging world is already bursting at the seams.
While it’s true that the blogging realm has grown significantly, and there’s a wide variety of content out there, there is always room for all kinds of stories, perspectives, and voices. As long as you’re willing to adapt and be agile, the volume of blogging competition out there shouldn’t be an issue.
Do people still read blogs?
In a world filled with short attention spans and flashy visuals, it might surprise you that the art of reading hasn’t faded away.
In fact, blogs continue to be a go-to source for information, inspiration, and entertainment.
- According to Social Media Today, a significant 77% of internet users engage with blogs.
With the convenience of accessing content on various devices, people are turning to blogs to delve deeper into topics they’re passionate about. So, if you’re wondering whether your words will find an audience, rest assured that there’s a community out there eager to read and engage with your blog posts.
Is blogging still profitable? Can I make money blogging?
As previously stated, if your sole purpose for blogging is to chase after money, you won’t likely discover genuine satisfaction in the journey.
Although blogging can indeed be financially rewarding when approached with dedication, it’s the passion that transforms it into a venture worth dedicating yourself to.
Speaking openly about my own experience, I launched my blog in May 2023 with a simple outline that I’ve restructured about five times since then. In those initial three months, amidst life events like getting married, honeymooning, and juggling a full-time job, I managed to earn a total of $7.69 through my digital Etsy templates and Amazon Affiliate Links.
So, can you actually make money through blogging? The answer is yes, but it hinges on the level of commitment you can bring to the table. For instance, since I work a full-time job, I can only allocate a few hours each week and weekends to my personal blog in order to strike a healthy balance. Conversely, bloggers who make this their primary source of income or work can put in much more time and effort.
By Sophia Lee, a lifestyle blogger who has been a significant inspiration to me, shares income reports on her blog. Witnessing a tangible example of what a blog can evolve into has genuinely motivated me. Her income reports display a range from modest monthly earnings of $700 to substantial figures exceeding $12,000+.
What I’m noticing is a common thread indicating that in 2023, the average take-home pay for a blogger tends to hover around $50,000 or more, as indicated by sources such as Indeed, Salary.com, and Glassdoor.
Keep in mind that when it comes to generating income through your blog, the key lies in the avenues you choose to feature on your platform. Whether you’re tapping into the Amazon Affiliate Program, offering digital templates, incorporating advertisements, securing sponsorships, or exploring other options, the key is to diversify your potential income streams. This approach will enable you to unlock the full potential of your blog’s earning capabilities.
Is there a future in blogging?
One of the questions that held me up the most is if there is even a future in blogging. While I may not be able to predict the future, the digital landscape is constantly evolving, and blogging is right there in the mix, adapting and thriving.
So, as long as people seek information, entertainment, and connections online, blogs will have a role to play.
Just think about it – blogs offer a personalized, authentic way to share stories, insights, and expertise. And with the rise of multimedia content, social media integration, and innovative platforms, the future of blogging looks bright.
The moral of the story is, that if you’re passionate about creating content and engaging with your audience, there’s definitely a place for you in the blogging world, now and in the exciting times to come.
Here’s a blog by Yoast SEO that explains more technical reasons that indicate there is in fact a future to blogging.
Pros & Cons of Starting a Blog in 2023
Here are some pros and cons I found during my first three months of blogging.
- It’s a Creative Outlet: I’ve always wanted a space where I could pour all of my ideas into, because trust me, I have a boatload of them, and needed somewhere to put them. Blogging has given me the creative freedom to bring my ideas to life.
- Knowledge Sharing: We all have that one topic or area that you’re just good at. And if you don’t want to base it on expertise, base it off of passion. A blog lets you become a guru and dish out your wisdom. From lifestyle tips to travel hacks, people love learning from passionate bloggers.
- Knowledge Gaining: I feel like this pro is often overlooked. Given that my full-time career is in content marketing, starting my own blog and website has given me so much skill that translates seamlessly into my career. Plus, you learn a little about yourself, too, and what you’re capable of.
- Side Income: While it’s not an instant money machine, blogging can open doors to some cash flow. Affiliate marketing, sponsored posts, and ad revenue can trickle in if you play your cards right. But remember, money takes time to grow.
- Resume and Portfolio Builder: Blogging gives you a ton of skills to add to your resume and portfolio. Content creation, SEO, social media management, and even a bit of web development. Showing future employers you are capable of building something of your own from scratch is undoubtedly impressive.
- Time Vampire: Blogging is like adopting a digital pet – it demands your time and attention. Crafting quality content, editing, promoting, and engaging with readers – it all eats into your schedule. So, if you’re low on time, be prepared for a balancing act.
- Investment Required: Sure, it’s not as costly as opening a coffee shop, but blogging comes with expenses. Think domain names, web hosting, and maybe some tools for design and analytics. It’s a small investment, but an investment nonetheless.
I will say, that I was blindsided but just how much it costs to get set up the way I wanted. So how much can you really expect to invest in starting your blog? Here’s a snapshot of my blog expenses so you can get a realistic idea:
- WordPress Start/Domain: $50.88 plus 22.88 per year moving forward.
- WordPress Business: $325.64 per year.
- Elementor Pro: $62.54 per year.
- Canva Pro: $120 per year.
Toss in all the gadgets and gear you might require, an LLC or DBA, and suddenly you’ve got some spending to do. But that’s what it is, an investment, meaning if you work at it, you can make that back, and get a good return on investment (ROI).
So expect to spend around $560 in startup costs (not including forming an LLC for risk protection, a laptop, or other equipment you may need for your vision) and $600+ in renewal costs each year.
- Crickets at First: Don’t expect your blog to blow up overnight. It takes time for your audience to find you. The early days might feel like shouting into an empty room, but persistence is key. I’m not going to lie, I’ve asked myself “Why the heck did I even start this blog?” more times than I can count, but I’m not going to give up until I see its success!
- Quality Control: You’re the editor-in-chief, content creator, and marketing manager, all in one. That’s a lot on your plate. Ensuring your content is top-notch and consistent can be overwhelming.
Final Verdict: Is It Worth Starting a Blog in 2023?
In a nutshell, starting a blog in 2023 can be as rewarding as it is challenging. If you’re in it for the love of writing, sharing, and learning, the pros can definitely outweigh the cons.
Just remember, it’s a journey that requires dedication, patience and a sprinkle of creativity. So, are you ready to hit that “publish” button?
You’ve reached the end? I’m so flattered. Why not read some more:
- Related: From Passion to Platform: What is a Lifestyle Blog?
- Related: A Beginner’s Guide to Starting a Lifestyle Blog
Featured Photo Photo by cottonbro studio: https://www.pexels.com/photo/person-using-macbook-pro-beside-white-ceramic-mug-5052875/